I recently answered this question: "What kind of inspector do you want to hire in China?"
Here is my answer:
I have been in this industry for a while managing inspectors and auditors.
I can tell you what are the best inspectors to my eyes:
- Extremly honest and with a stronge sense of business ethic
- Detail minded with sharp eyes to target defects
- Capable to have a minimum of authority to be able to face supplier they inspect to be respected during their tasks
- Capable to work with client and supplier hand in hand to be able to solve issues in a diplomatic way.
- Have a very good common sense to understand problems
- Capable to smell and feel when suppliers tell him/her some bullshits, and capable to challenge the supplier to discover the truth about the situation
- Capable to understand manufacturing process and technical standpoint to be able to analyze quickly problems
- Have a good working organization and capable to follow an inspection process properly step by step, not messing up results
- Capable to collect data properly (proper measurement)
- Professional mindset (arrive on time on site)
Over the time, I found that women are better for everything related to human relationship but that men are better at everything which is technical.